TV

Glastonbury Festival 2021 officially cancelled after ongoing coronavirus pandemic

GLASTONBURY has been officially cancelled for a second year running.

The Sun revealed last month that the chances of staging Glastonbury, which is famous around the world, were all but dead.

And now the festival has confirmed that the five-day festival held in Pilton, Somerset has been scrapped.

Taking to Twitter organisers Michael and Emily Eavis wrote: "With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.

"Tickets for this year will roll over to next year"

The full statement reads: "In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.

"As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticked in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.

"We are very appreciateive of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!

"We thank you for your incredible continued support and let's look forward to better times ahead.

"With love, Michael & Emily."

Festival goers rushed to praise festival organisers for making the right decision and shared their sadness at another year without Glastonbury.

"Sad news but the right decision. You’re not letting anyone down. Roll on 2022!" one fan tweeted.

"Good work on announcing it nice and early. See you in 2022!" another added.

"Totally understandable but absolutely gutted…for all of us, and for the whole team that organise it. The longest I’ve gone without a Glastonbury festival since 1993. I am missing it already," a third wrote.

A festival source explained to The Sun in December: “The bookers have been told they’re not needed for the summer. It’s effectively postponing the festival for a second year running, which is absolutely gutting.”

Sir Paul McCartney, one of the acts due to headline the festival, admitted the festival was no longer in his diary.

He said: "This is the problem, the thing we do is we get 100,000 people closely packed together with flags and no masks – talk about a superspreader.

"I’d love it to be in my diary but I have a feeling it’s not going to be.”

Earlier this month Spice Girls star Mel B insisted the festival was cancelled but festival bosses claimed there was still a chance the five-day extravaganza in Somerset could go ahead.

Singer Melanie, 45, told the BBC that she found out that Glastonbury would not be happening.

Speaking on Radio 5 Live, she said: "I know that Glastonbury has been cancelled.

"A lot of big stage performances are on hold again this year. It's sad, but we've got to get this virus under control."

When surprised presenter Nihal Arthanayake said the festival had not been called off, Mel insisted: "They did today – unfortunately."


Mel added that she had hoped to play the Sunday night legends slot on the 25th anniversary of the Spice Girls, saying: "I've always wanted to do that, all of us have."

However, organiser Emily Eavis rejected Mel's claim, tweeting: "Happy new year to you all! There’s no news this end yet, we haven't cancelled."

She also reassured people with 2021 tickets that they would automatically get 'rolled over' to tickets for 2022 if the festival was officially called off.

Source: Read Full Article