- Roku ramped up hiring during the year as its market cap climbed, recent research shows.
- Business Insider also analyzed US work-visa disclosure data released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification to gauge how much Roku offered to pay for certain roles, including product, engineering, and manager jobs.
- Based on the data, Roku offered staffers on work visas in the US annual base salaries between $108,000 to $638,000 during the year that ended Sept. 30.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Roku ramped up hiring during the year as its market cap climbed, recent research shows.
The number of active job listings from Roku rose from 20 in February to nearly 160 by the end of November 2020, according to recently published data from research firm GlobalData's Jobs Analytics database. Overall, the streaming company posted 600 job listings from February through the end of November.
Roku currently has 176 job openings, the company told Business Insider.
Roku's hiring lift comes after a blockbuster year for Roku that drove its market value to more than $45 billion, nearly three times its value this time last year.
In recent years, the company has transitioned from a small-but-mighty maker of streaming boxes to a TV platform business that has used its position to aggressively move into advertising.
READ MORE: Roku insiders detail how it beat out Amazon and Google to dominate streaming TV and expand its ad business, but created new challenges and rankled some partners
To shed light on what Roku pays for key roles, Business Insider analyzed disclosures on work visas released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification.
The public data show how much the company offered to pay foreign staffers it sought to hire in the US, which included staffers in product, engineering, and managerial roles.
It included wages from 59 foreign-labor-certification applications that were submitted by Roku and certified during the US government's 2020 fiscal year, which ended in September. The data excludes pending cases, and Business Insider excluded nine cases that had expired.
The majority of the applications were for roles based in California, but there were also positions based in New York and Massachusetts, and Texas.
According to US Department of Labor documentation, the wages in the disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign-labor-certification applications to pay specific workers. The salaries are based on the average compensation that similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry are paid, which is known as the prevailing wage.
Companies may choose to pay employees more than the figures reflected in this data or compensate them in additional ways, like through stock options and grants.
Based on the data, Roku offered in 2020 annual base salaries ranging from $108,000 to $638,000 for various roles.
"The transition from traditional pay TV to TV streaming is underway and Roku continues to grow," VP of Talent Acquisition Juliet Peniston said in a statement.
Here's a breakdown of the salary data, by role:
Product and engineering
Roku offered staffers on US work visas in product and engineering roles annual base salaries ranging $108,000 to $637,500.
The positions included:
- Quality Assurance Engineer: $108,195 to $130,000
- Senior QA Engineer: $120,000 to $185,000
- Senior Software Engineer, Test: $140,000 to $280,500
- Senior Analyst, Performance Marketing: $145,000 to $207,000
- Software Engineer, Test: $150,000 to $225,000
- Software Engineer: $153,000 to $157,500
- Senior Software Engineer: $154,669 to $637,500
- Senior Software Engineer, Advertising Platform: $154,669 to $350,000
- Senior Data Engineer: $170,872 to $288,000
- Senior Software Data Engineer, Advertising Platform: $178,500
- Senior Video Motion Graphics Designer: $180,000
- Senior Data Scientist: $194,397 to $245,000
- Senior Analyst, Data Science: $198,000
- Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning: $201,000 to $330,000
- Enterprise Applications Manager, Supply Chain: $210,000 to $260,000
- Data Research Scientist: $225,000 to $246,500
- Software Engineer, Search & Recommendations (Machine Learning): $225,000
- Manager, Software Engineering: $250,000 to $375,000
- Senior Software Automation Engineer: $252,000 to $306,000
- Senior Software Engineer, Web Services: $255,000
- Senior Research Data Scientist: $315,000
- Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Services: $320,000
- Senior DevOps Engineer, Cloud Services: $323,000
Roku offered staffers on US work visas in managerial roles annual base salaries ranging $175,000 to $375,000.
The positions included:
- Senior Manager Product Management: $175,000
- QA Manager: $215,093 to $240,000
- Senior Product Manager, International TV OS: $220,000
- Senior Payment Manager – Core Payments: $240,000
- Senior Manager, Software Engineering: $280,000 to $375,000
- Senior Manager, Marketing Analyst: $304,500
Source: Read Full Article